Game 3 for the RW&B.
Some thoughts on yesterday’s classic:
1) NHL shootouts are a bad enough way to determine a winner. To do it in an Olympic tournament is dumber. And to have that rule where the same guy goes over and over and over and over again, is beyond stupid. IMO.
2) Ryan Callahan and Ryan McDonagh=NYRMonsters. With Callahan, what you saw yesterday is what makes him special. I don’t know if he’s worth $6M per, and I certainly would have a hard time endorsing a seven-year contract for him, but a lot of people have put him down as a replaceable third-liner, and I certainly don’t believe he is that. Yesterday he looked to me like a guy who will be very much missed, especially in the first four or five seasons of his next contract, if he goes. And, as far as the money, the way NHL salaries are going, $6M per three or four years from now, is not going to look so bad. Five, six, seven years from now, is questionable, only because you try to project what Callahan will be then.
3) I wish USA Hockey didn’t sell out to Nike with those new uniforms. Please bring back the USA logo on the front.
4) Pavel Datsyuk. I wonder, when all is said and done, where this guy stands among all-time Russian hockey players. especially among all-time Russians who played in the NHL. Other guys might have better stats. Datsyuk might, overall, be better than all of them.
5) Sergei Bobrovsky. Looks like Philly got it wrong again.
Austria vs. Norway, 3:00 a.m., USA Network, TSN2
Russia vs. Slovakia, 7:30 a.m., USA Network, Sportsnet
Slovenia vs. USA, 7:30 a.m., NBCSN
Finland vs. Canada, 12:00 p.m., USA Network, CBC
Photo by Getty Images.