Post-game notes courtesy of the NYR:
Rangers 4, Senators 1.
– The Rangers defeated the Ottawa Senators, 4-1, today at Canadian Tire Centre, to begin a back-to-back set. The Blueshirts notched four unanswered goals, while Cam Talbot made 29 saves in the win. New York has now won eight of their last 11 games (8-2-1), and five of their last six.
– The Blueshirts improved to 26-21-3 overall (55 pts), including a 15-10-0 mark on the road this season. The Rangers have registered a point in seven of the last eight games (6-1-1) and 13 of their last 17 (11-4-2).
– New York has won five of their last six games away from Madison Square Garden, including each of the last three contests on the road. The Blueshirts lead the Eastern Conference and are tied for second in the league overall with 15 road wins.
– The Blueshirts have allowed two goals or fewer in each of their last six games, seven of their last eight games, and eight of their last 10 games.
– The Rangers have won seven of their last 10 games at Ottawa, and have points in nine of their last 12 on the road against the Senators (8-3-1).
– The Rangers power play was 1-4 (6:00) in the contest. New York has notched a power play goal in six of the last eight games (7-26, 26.9%) and 11 of the last 16 (15-56, 26.8%).
– The Blueshirts penalty kill was 2-2 (2:25) in the contest, and have now held opponents scoreless on the power play in each of the last two games (4-4 over the span).
– The Rangers out-shot the Senators, 31-30, including a 25-14 advantage after two periods. The Blueshirts have out-shot their opponent in 15 of the last 19 games, holding a 672-560 shot advantage over their opponents during the stretch. The Rangers have registered 30 or more shots in 19 of the last 23 contests.
– Derek Stepan registered his 30th point of the season with a goal and two assists, and registered four shots, three hits, and a plus-two rating in 17:51 of ice time. He has now reached the 30-point mark in each of his four NHL seasons.
– Cam Talbot made 29 saves to record his 10th career win, and improve to 10-3-0 overall with a 7-2-0 mark on the road this season. He has held opponents to two goals or fewer in 11 of his 13 career NHL starts, including eight of nine road starts. Talbot is the first Rangers goalie other than Henrik Lundqvist to defeat the Senators since Jussi Markkanen (23 saves) on Nov. 23, 2003 at Madison Square Garden (6-2).
– Rick Nash notched a goal, a game-high, six shots, and posted a plus-two rating in 17:26 of ice time. He has registered five goals in the last seven contests, and 23 shots in the last four games. Nash has scored a goal in four of his last five contests against the Senators (four goals during the stretch).
– Brad Richards tallied a goal, five shots, and two blocked shots in 20:09 of ice time. He has tallied nine points (four goals, five assists) in the last eight games, and is now tied for the Rangers lead with 13 goals this season.
– Mats Zuccarello registered an unassisted goal and was credited with three hits in 14:27 of ice time. He has registered a point in five of the last six games (three goals, two assists over the span), including a goal in each of the last two games, and has 10 points (five goals, five assists) in the last 11 games. Zuccarello is now tied for the team lead with 13 goals this season.
– Ryan McDonagh tallied an assist, was credited with two blocked shots, and posted a plus-two rating in 22:50 of ice time. He has recorded eight points (one goal, seven assists) in the last 14 games, and is now tied for fourth on the team with 27 points this season.
– Benoit Pouliot led all skaters with a season-high, six hits, while Dan Girardi registered four hits in a team-high, 23:36 of ice time.
Photo by Getty Images.