Post-game notes courtesy of the Rangers:
Penguins 5, Rangers 2.
AUDIO: Alain Vigneault’s post-game remarks, courtesy of the Penguins:
- The Rangers continued a five-game road trip tonight with a 5-2 loss against the Pittsburgh Penguins at CONSOL Energy Center, in a Metropolitan Division matchup.
- The Blueshirts are now 20-20-2 overall (42 pts), including a 12-10-0 mark on the road this season.
- New York out-shot Pittsburgh, 35-28, including a 27-19 advantage after the first period. The Blueshirts have out-shot their opponent in nine of the last 11 games, and hold a 365-301 shot advantage over their opponents during the stretch. The Rangers have posted 30 or more shots in 11 of the last 15 games.
- Mats Zuccarello notched a goal, recorded his 30th point of the season with an assist, and was credited with three hits in 17:53 of ice time. He has tallied 20 points (eight goals, 12 assists) in the last 20 games, including nine points (four goals, five assists) in the last eight, and has registered five points (two goals, three assists) in four games on the Rangers current five-game road trip. Zuccarello is now tied for the team lead with 10 goals, and leads the team with 20 assists and 30 points this season.
- Ryan McDonagh registered a goal, three shots, and two hits in a game-high, 24:03 of ice time. He has recorded four points (one goal, three assists) in four games on the Rangers current five-game road trip, and is now tied for sixth among NHL defensemen with seven goals this season. McDonagh’s seven goals are tied for his career-high, which he set during the 2011-12 season.
- Derick Brassard tallied one assist, was credited with two hits, and won 10-20 faceoffs (50%) in 16:31 of ice time. He has recorded a point in six of the last eight games, registering eight points (one goal, seven assists) over the span, and now ranks fifth on the team with 16 assists and is tied for fifth with 22 points this season.
- Benoit Pouliot registered an assist and two takeaways in 16:12 of ice time. He has tallied a point in 10 of his last 13 games, registering 10 points (five goals, five assists) over the span.
- Dan Girardi recorded an assist, three shots, and two hits in 23:24 of ice time. He has notched a point in each of the last two games (one goal, one assist), and has registered three points (one goal, two assists) in four games on the Rangers’ current five-game road trip.
- Ryan Callahan tied for the team-high with four hits in 14:42 of ice time, while making his return to the lineup after missing the last nine games with a sprained MCL sustained on Dec. 10 vs. Nashville. He ranks fourth on the team with 74 hits, despite missing 17 games to injury this season.
- Henrik Lundqvist made 23 saves and is now 12-16-2 overall, including a 7-7-0 mark on the road this season.
Photo by Getty Images.