- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
Senators 3, Rangers 2: Post-game notes, quotes
Posted By Carp On March 8, 2013 @ 10:34 pm In Hockey,Lockout,New York Rangers,NHL,Rangers Report | 39 Comments
Courtesy of the NYR:
NEW YORK RANGERS POST-GAME NOTES
March 8, 2013 (Game 23, Home Game 15)
Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
Senators 3, Rangers 2
- The Rangers were defeated by the Ottawa Senators, 3-2, tonight at Madison Square Garden, to end their winning streak at four games.
- The Blueshirts are now 12-9-2 (26 pts) overall, including a 9-5-1 mark at home this season.
- The Rangers and Senators have been separated by one goal in five of their last seven meetings, with three of those games ending in the shootout.
- New York was credited with 23 blocked shots in the contest, led by Ryan McDonagh’s game-high, four blocked shots. Ryan Callahan and Micheal Haley tied for the game-high among forwards with three blocked shots apiece.
- Rick Nash notched a goal and posted a plus-two rating in 18:31 of ice time. He extended his point streak to five games (six goals, three assists during the streak), including a Rangers’ season-high, five-game goal streak, and has now tallied a point in each of his last nine games (seven goals, seven assists over the span).
- Brad Richards registered a goal, tied for the game-high with six shots on goal, and posted a plus-two rating in 18:02 of ice time. He has recorded three points (one goal, two assists) in his last four games.
- Henrik Lundqvist made 36 saves and is now 11-8-1 overall, including a 9-5-0 mark at home this season. It is the fifth time this season Lundqvist posted 30+ saves in a contest (1-3-1, 2.56 goals against average, .929 save percentage). Lundqvist has now appeared in 28 of the Rangers’ last 29 meetings with Ottawa, dating back to Dec. 26, 2005.
- Carl Hagelin recorded an assist, four shots on goal, and posted a plus-two rating in 18:17 of ice time. He has now tallied 11 points (six goals, five assists) in the last 13 games, including an assist in each of the last two games.
- Michael Del Zotto tallied an assist, tied for the game-high with six shots on goal, and was credited with four hits and two blocked shots in 24:54 of ice time. He has registered two assists in the last four games.
- Anton Stralman recorded an assist and logged 21:44 of ice time in the contest. He has now tallied four points (two goals, two assists) in the last six home games.
- Ryan McDonagh led all skaters with four blocked shots, was credited with four hits and logged a team-high, 26:43 of ice time.
- Micheal Haley was credited with a team-high, six hits and registered three blocked shots in the contest.
- John Tortorella on tonight’s game… “Step (Derek Stepan) has a chance, if he scores there you never know where it goes. I thought the first half of the period we were really good and then we turned it over in the middle of the period and never really regrouped from it. I don’t think we defended that well in that part of the game and they scored.”
- Ryan Callahan on tonight’s game… “We played well for stretches, but not enough. Especially at home, you have to find a way to win that game. We had chances in the third period that we need to convert on. We need to not let them score, and get two points at home when you are tied going into the third period.”
- Derek Stepan on Brad Richards… “It’s always good to get a guy back like that. He scores a big goal for us to get it to 2-2. He’s going to continue to do that for us because he’s a special player.”
- The Blueshirts’ practice schedule for tomorrow, Mar. 9, is 12:00 p.m. at MSG Training Center.
- The Rangers will return to action when they face-off against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, Mar. 10, at Verizon Center (12:30 p.m. – TV: NBC; Radio: ESPN 98.7), to begin a four-game road trip.
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2013/03/08/senators-3-rangers-2-post-game-notes-quotes/