- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
Rangers-Devils in review
Posted By On February 6, 2013 @ 2:12 am In Hockey,New York Rangers,NHL | 198 Comments
1) I really wonder who John Tortorella’s tentative, scared guys are. Marian Gaborik? Michael Del Zotto (he doesn’t look tentative to me, but he made some woeful mistakes)? Brad Richards, who was demoted off the No. 1 line and terrible on the power play? Brian Boyle, who except for a game or two, hasn’t been nearly the player he was last year?
3) I will say this, you can’t imagine not having Dan Girardi’s 29 minutes until you don’t have them. Same for Ryan Callahan. Girardi is a guy who missed two games in his career, with a ribcage injury just before an all-star break, and he missed those two kicking and screaming that he wanted to play. So this “banged up” injury, or injuries, he has must be pretty bad.
4) The four-minute PP could have been a game-changer, and how many of the five losses might have been different already if one of those important power plays (3 for 35) had been cashed in? The only line that did anything during the four minutes was the kids, J.T. Miller and Chris Kreider, with Taylor Pyatt, and Marc Staal and Anton Stralman at the points. The big guys did zilch. And Richards back at the point, and Stepan for that matter, were awful.
5) The big line was pretty awful on both Devils goals in the first, even if Michael Del Zotto’s cough-up was the one that really caused the first one. It followed a Gaborik giveaway that created a scrambly D-zone situation.
7) Very impressed with J.T. Miller. Was involved, laughed about getting decked on his first shift, had a great deflection that Martin Brodeur ate up (thought you’d like that). Confident.
8) Equally impressed with Chris Kreider’s speed and shot … again. That goal was a laser. And, just to be fair, it was a pretty cool pass from Richards.
9) It’s fair and easy to blame Nash for the David Clarkson goal. It was his fault, no doubt about it. But if you’ve ever lost a puck in your skates, you know how helpless a feeling that can be. Not making an excuse. Just stating …
10) I also didn’t mind Darroll Powe at all. Kid’s a bundle of energy. Kind of like Benn Ferreiro was his first couple of games. I think Powe’s got enough track record to be better and more consistently so. Could be a good one.
12) The Devils still block lanes with sticks and skates. I remember other Rangers coaches saying it isn’t just their neutral-zone trap or their goalie. They clog the center of the defensive zone with sticks. Passes don’t get through. Shots don’t get through. Their defensemen stay around the front of the net, and their forwards collapse down low. And they DON’T slide on the ice trying to block passes or faraway shots.
13) Brodeur was pretty damn good. That save on Carl Hagelin from Nash was vintage. I know, it hurts you when I write that. Sorry. How bad would it have been if he scored an empty-netter, too?
14) The Rangers, who spent time working on faceoffs Monday — working on wingers and defensemen helping out the center when there’s a “tie” off a faceoff — won 32 and lost 26. So there’s that.
15) Unrelated, but did you see that Brandon Dubinsky fought Mike Richards again. That’s hockey.
Freedom Prime’s Three Rangers Stars:
1. Chris Kreider.
2. J.T. Miller.
3. Michael Del Zotto.
Sioux-per-man’s Three Rangers Stars:
1. Chris Kreider – first goal – even if his eyes where closed.
2. J.T. Miller – I want to see more of this. I don’t care who’s job he takes.
3. Brad Richards – Maybe he should center the two above, why not learn from one of the best.
Your poll vote for Three Rangers Stars:
1. Chris Kreider (25.83 %).
2. J.T. Miller (25.42 %).
3. Carl Hagelin (7.5 %).
Photos by Getty Images.
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2013/02/06/rangers-devils-in-review-9/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/asham-vs.-devils2.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/staal-vs.-Clarkson.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/asham-vs.-devils.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/J.T.-Miller-debut.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/brodeur.jpg