- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
Devils-Kings Game 3 in review
Posted By Carp On June 5, 2012 @ 3:46 am In Hockey,New York Rangers,NHL,Stanley Cup playoffs | 244 Comments
1) Game 4, if necessary …
2) The Devils power play might be worse than the Rangers power play, or at least it is when Kovalchuk isn’t scoring (or if he’s hurt, which he probably is). And the Devils’ penalty kill stinks, and has stunk all playoffs.
3) That said, I think the Rangers would have been more physical with the Kings, and maybe would have spent more time in the Kings zone than the Devils have, but I wonder if they’d have more than the two goals the Devils have scored … or fewer.
4) ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN PEGGY COMMERCIALS. God, they’re horrible.
5) Don’t attend your own funeral as a guy named Phil Shiffley. Now that’s a funny commercial.
6) Here’s my rant for today. The NHL bosses insist on micro-managing the rulebook, as if more rules, more penalties is a good thing. Well, here’s the thing. The more rules you put in, the more guys will take advantage of them and the more epidemics you create. We saw one of those last night when Anze Kopitar put David (milk carton) Clarkson into the boards face first. Clarkson turned purposely, then dived into the boards. We’ve seen that epidemic all year, for a couple of years, really. Why? Because the NHL put in a rule about hits from behind. Before the rule, in the olden days, guys would never turn because they knew they’d get plastered; not get a power play.
So now the NHL has put this stupid slashing penalty in the book. When a guy has his stick slashed out of his hands, it’s a penalty. The result is that guys now get their stick slapped and they drop it. It’s now an epidemic, too. We saw it—I forget who it was—last night, and Pierre McGuire made the good point that, in the olden days, a coach would be angry if you had the stick knocked out of your hands. Now they drop it like it’s hot, on purpose. Give us more rules, guys.
7) Is it possible that the “exhausted” and “out of gas” Rangers wore down the Devils to this degree?
8) Jonathan Quick is awesome. But he made at least three in-close “equipment” saves in Game 3 … saves that were only saves because of those big pieces of needless padding on his arms and shoulders.
9) Bob Costas really howsoned the John Tortorella interview. Torts brought this on himself, though, and he’s right, it has taken on a life of its own. Too bad. Would have been nice to hear about those 61 wins and the young team instead of a few disrespectful press conferences (and, yawn, the shot-blocking issue). Hope I’m not one of those “idiots” though.
10) Great to see TGO, wasn’t it? By the way, you know what makes me laugh? This notion that, if Marty McSorley hadn’t been called for an illegal stick, Barry Melrose’s Kings would have won the Cup in’93.
11) Boy, I’m glad I didn’t have to go to LA. And I’m quite certain there are going to be many, many happy journalists more happy than I that they don’t have to go back for Game 6.
AP photos, above.
Shoot, I almost forgot to order, er, I mean, remind you to go over to Sally’s zetterburger.com blog and vote on the Paul Mara Beard Extravaganza .
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/06/05/devils-kings-game-3-in-review/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/06/marty.jpg
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/06/quick.jpg
 remind you to go over to Sally’s zetterburger.com blog and vote on the Paul Mara Beard Extravaganza: http://zetterburger.com/