- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
Rangers-Devils Game 1 in review
Posted By Carp On May 15, 2012 @ 2:52 am In Hockey,New York Rangers,NHL,Stanley Cup playoffs | 322 Comments
1) Ya boys sure do stick with it, don’t they? And at 0-0 in the lockerroom after being pretty much pinned in the second, they sure must have felt that they would win this game. And then they did. Not surprised.
2) Dan (Block Ness Monster) Girardi had a couple of rough shifts, didn’t he? And he came out with another facial welt thanks to the boarding penalty in the third … on which he made them pay. Good for him, scoring the goal, getting the assist, having another shot that Marc Staal nearly buried (the D-man bailed out Martin Brodeur), and wearing the Broadway Hat.
3) It seems the Rangers, bad as their power play is most of the time, always score when one of their guys gets fouled hard, or hurt. Doesn’t it? Or is it just me?
4) Again, I have no idea what words to use about Henrik Lundqvist other than: best … goalie … in … the … game. Now he’s doing it on the big stage for the first time. Stand up and take notice all you non-Rangers fans and non-Sweden fans across the continent.
5) Speaking of outstanding, and of making big game-saving plays, how about Ryan McDonagh’s two plays to chase down Future Ranger Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk? Just to make you guys happy, I want to point out this: Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt and Michael Busto for Ryan McDonagh, Marian Gaborik, Brandon Prust, Pavel Valentenko and No Scott Gomez. I don’t even know why that makes me happy. 
6) Future Ranger Parise looked good in spots. Kovalchuk looked good in spots, Patrik Elias looked good in spots. But I don’t think any of them played great at all. And in fact, Elias and future Ranger Parise were standing flat-footed when Girardi came off the bench and yelled to Chris Kreider for the puck on the 1-0 goal.
7) What is up with the dumb, dumb questions during post-game pressers with John Tortorella? And he hung in there through the dumb questions, the phone ringing, more dumb questions, a microphone that wasn’t working. And he answered questions. That’s twice in three games that somebody who’s been involved in hockey all their lives has asked about a timeout after an icing. HELLO? Unoffically, 90 percent of all timeouts in the NHL now are after icings, because you can’t change players.
8) Chris Kreider is really a special player. The kid is huge under that shirt, too. He was funny describing the Girardi goal, saying he thought Girardi was hollering for the puck, but allowing that he might have been hearing voices. Then, when asked about settling in, this is what he said: ““The last thing I want to do is settle in. I don’t want to be complacent, especially at this level. If I get complacent for a second, next thing you know I’m minus-2 and giving Ovechkin a one-timer in the slot. So, I’ve got to stay extremely focused, obviously.”
9) That Ron Duguay thing before the games is embarrassing. I mean, how does he then pretend to be an analyst?
10) Martin Brodeur was better than I thought he’d be.
11) Eight o’clock games suck.
12) They still show that stupid clip from “Network” you know, the one where the guy says, “I want you to all get on your feet …” And we in the pressbox were kind of updating it for today’s crowd: “I want you to all get off your Blackberries, stop texting, stop ordering food from waitresses, stop trying to catch T-shirts …”
13) Been thinking about this while watching this Rangers teams do the things it does and the way it does them: Glen Sather is going to have to be very careful when they make trades or sign free agents going forward because it’s going to take special types of players to come in here, accept the way this team plays, commit to playing that way, and do it selflessly. Because anybody who doesn’t fit, well, won’t fit.
14) I still expect this series to be 1-1 after two games. As I usually do.
My Three Rangers Stars:
1) Henrik Lundqvist.
2) Chris Kreider.
3) Dan Girardi.
AP photos, above and below.
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/05/15/rangers-devils-game-1-in-review/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/05/kreider-game-2.jpg
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/05/girardi-parise.jpg
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/05/volchenkov.jpg
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/05/mcdonagh-parise-game-1.jpg
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/05/callahan-lundqvist-game-2.jpg
 Image: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/05/stick-salute-game-1.jpg