- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
Rangers-Bruins in review
Posted By On March 5, 2012 @ 4:44 am In Hockey,New York Rangers,NHL | 245 Comments
1) The Rangers have thieved games like this the past couple of years, but in most of those, it was Henrik Lundqvist doing the stealing. This one was hard to explain. Except that, as usual, the Rangers stuck to the plan, kept on playing, and somehow got two critical goals and another win.
2) Speaking of those two goals, how nifty are Marian Gaborik’s hands, and how cool was that little play he made to tuck the puck past Tim Thomas? And then Derek Stepan’s shot. He’s had more than a couple of shots, in the games and in the breakaway contests, that made you go “Wow!” this year.
3) There were some fluky goals in this one, too. The third Boston goal was a play that Dan Girardi actually broke up with a dive and a stick on the ice. But the puck hit the stick and ended up right on Krejci’s stick. Otherwise it’s a nothing play. And the Carl Hagelin 2-0 goal never should have gone in … but give the kid credit. That was some kind of use of that amazing speed to get to the puck and sweep it around the back of the net.
4) On the other hand were the two up-the-middle cough-ups by Anton Stralman and Girardi. I don’t recall a game all season in which the Rangers did that twice. I can’t even remember one of those that ended up in the net this season. Both of those did on Sunday.
5) I don’t blame Lundqvist for either of those. I really don’t And you can’t fault him for the third goal. That said, I thought he looked a little bit off, especially early on. And he got some help from his posts. Nevertheless, he was good when he had to be, especially at the end, and he deserved to win.
6) The Rangers got five out of six points in three games in less than four days without Ryan Callahan. Pretty impressive. But, man, they miss their captain. Also, Girardi, Michael Del Zotto and Ruslan Fedotenko played despite being pretty banged up. Why, with such a big lead in the standings and a playoff berth virtually assured? Because it would take an elephant tranquilizer for those guys to not play, especially against a team like the Bruins. Says a lot about the Rangers, doesn’t it?  The Block Ness Monster’s arm was hideously swollen and discolored. And how about that hit on Lucic?
7) The game was as rugged and mean as expected, and the Bruins sure showed their nastiness again. But that garbage Milan Lucic pulled after the buzzer, jumping Ryan McDonagh, that was way over the line. The Rangers might want to file that. And since Lucic is never going to fight John Scott in a million years — nobody wanted any part of Scott yesterday — the best way to get revenge is for somebody to rough up one of the Bruins’ skill players. Why not?
8) How about that brief time when John Tortorella used a line of Mike Rupp (6-5, 243), Brian Boyle (6-7, 244) and Scott (6-8, 270)? I am almost certain that was the biggest line in the history of the NHL.
9) Did the Rangers first power play really begin with John Mitchell on the ice and Marian Gaborik on the bench? Really?
10) Can NBC show a replay of a goal that’s not shot by a camera nine miles away? And did NBC jump out of MSG quickly enough because Tiger Woods was making a charge in the PGA event to follow? Missed what nearly became a really bad incident when, after the Lucic cheap-shot, Scott and Zdeno Chara went toward each other with both teams completely on the ice.
11) Continuing the Garden concourse dining tour: Finally tried the prime rib sandwich. Very, very good. Very, very expensive. I woulln’t do it again at that price (like $19). Special thanks to somebody who knows what the hell I’m talking about.
12) So it’s a 10-point lead on the Penguins in the Patrick Division, and a 12-point lead on the Bruins in the race for the No. 1 seed. Just wow.
My Three Rangers Stars:
1) Marian Gaborik.
2) Derek Stepan.
3) Carl Hagelin.
@HagsToRichards’ Three Rangers Stars:
1) Derek Stepan.
2) Brad Richards.
3) Michael Del Zotto.
Stick salute, Girardi, Hagelin goal — AP photos.
Prust — Getty Images.
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/03/05/rangers-bruins-in-review-2/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/stick-salute-vs.-bruins.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1406743851.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/girardi-vs.-marchand.jpg
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hagelin-goal-vs.-bruins.jpg
 Here is my column on the game, in The Journal News and on LoHud.com today: http://www.lohud.com/article/20120305/COLUMNIST01/303050076/Rangers-win-over-Boston-needs-no-explanations?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports