- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
A day closer to D-day
Posted By Carp On February 23, 2012 @ 4:45 am In Hockey,New York Rangers,NHL | 401 Comments
Some thoughts that I expressed in the comments, and some I didn’t, as we argued—again—the pros and mostly the cons of Rick Nash (somebody cleverly dubbed it Nash Wednesday).
1) Jeff “10-foot-pole” Carter … the Rangers would be better off doing nothing than adding him at any cost. Bad guy. He’ll be available again next year at the deadline, by whichever team gets him this year.
2) Henrik Lundvist’s biological clock/age=non-factor. He could play another 10 years at this level. Lots of goalies play well into their late 30s without a dropoff.
3) To play devil’s advocate on all these comments that the Rangers won’t be able to sign all their RFAs and UFAs the next few years if they get Nash: If the Rangers have Nash, Stepan, Gaborik, Richards, Callahan, Kreider on the top two lines, why are you sweating Hagelin/Anisimov (just to name two) contracts? Do you pass up the chance to get a bonafide first-line winger so you don’t have to be creative with one third-line contract in two years?
4) Not convinced he’s coming. And I’m not sure I’m strongly one one side or the other. I’m only convinced they want him. I have no idea how far they’ll go to get him, and I don’t think they will go near the rumored demands that include any of these guys: Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto … and I am taking an educated guess that they will make all attempts to keep Kreider out of the deal, too. I could be completely wrong.
5) I think part of the concern is that the Rangers have 15 regulation losses, and six of those were by shutout. And that every slump the last two years, and both of the last two playoff eliminations, were due to a lack of goal scoring and first-line skill.
6) I wonder how married Scott Howson is to the idea of making this deal … if he’ll crumble as 3 p.m. Monday approaches, or if he’ll just say, the heck with it, and keep Nash. Actually, I still don’t understand why Columbus would trade their franchise player. It’s not like they don’t have cap space.
7) Unrelated to Nash: What a shame it is to see the Washington Capitals collapse under Dale Hunter. He’s getting what he deserved for all those years of playing like a filthy piece of clarke. Also, do you think it matters who wears the “C” on a hockey team? Look how the Great Eight is leading his team, and how Captain Callahan is leading his.
8) Missed the big anniversary yesterday. Feb. 22, 1980. Lake Placid, N.Y. Google it if you have to.
9) The two latest Roenickisms were added to the vocabulary the other night, after the esteemed J.R. called Carolina “the Panthers.” In the same, um, thought on the Capitals, Roenick used the words “miscombobulated” and “misarray” … to go along with some of his classics, like “adysmal.”
Been up to my eyeballs in basketballs the last little while, and will be doing split duty between hoops and hockey for the next month. Was at Tappan Zee High School yesterday and saw the latest version of this, which is one of the funniest high school sports antics I’ve seen. This is one from earlier in the season. 
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/02/23/a-day-closer-to-d-day/
URLs in this post:
 Was at Tappan Zee High School yesterday and saw the latest version of this, which is one of the funniest high school sports antics I’ve seen. This is one from earlier in the season.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6f9SqBrCrU