It’s been a while since I’ve gotten a chance to do something for the blog. I haven’t posted here much this season, but after this, things might change. It was a good game to watch. There were times both teams were flying up and down the ice. We have some foot speed, but not as much as Ottawa. They can fly when they want to. That said, let’s get into the notes.
1) The GAS (Gabby, AA, Step) line started the game with their foot on the gas, creating two chances on their first shift on the ice, and didn’t let up until the game was over. Beautiful finish by Gaborik on the 2 on 1 to make it 3-1.
2) That said, why no shot on the 3 on 1 in the 2nd? Torts properly rips McMonsta for not taking a shot.
3) Thought there would be more fights after the bad blood in the last game. But I guess since WW’s out and Alfredsson’s set to return, not so much. Couple of fights though. Avery- Konopka, Deveaux-Cowen. Nothing worth rewatching, to be honest.
4) Girardi makes some questionable passes in his own zone. Deep in his corner, going cross ice, with some traffic around? DO NOT WANT!!! In his defense, they mostly worked, but I do NOT want to see him drop passing between his legs with his back to the opposing goalie right on top of OUR net. I don’t care if you don’t see anyone around you, still too dangerous.
5) Speaking of D-zone corners, why are both D-Men (I’m looking at you Sauer Pawr/DZ) chasing the puck holder behind the net? Talk out there! That said, I’m curious to see if DZ will stay with Sauer. I think they could potentially be a good pairing.
6) Why do you never hear of a young, SLOW team? It’s always, ” ________ (Insert any young team from any sport here) is a young, fast team.” Just one of those things that make you say “Hmm.”
7) Hit the net. PLEASE. Wasted some good chances out there because some people couldn’t hit the wide side of the Garden with a puck. Considering they might hit an NBA rep with a shot, maybe they should continue missing the net and knock some sense into both sides of the NBA dispute.
8) I liked the highway robbery The King pulled on Karlsson with his glove. I know a couple people made an issue of it last season. Looked like he’s been working on it.
9) Ottawa’s D coughed the puck up if you breathed on them on the forecheck, it seemed like. Although Gonchar started that 3-2 goal slipping Deveaux’s forecheck, he coughed the puck up to Step’s forecheck to create our 1st goal.
10) Two Senators, three Rangers behind the net, two of them defenseman. Tell me where this might prove to become a slight problem.
11) Step passed up a good chance trying to be cute in a 1 on 1 situation. Gotta be selfish sometimes, man.
12) PUCK. NET. PLEASE!!!
13) There’s a penalty for kneeing now? I learned something new tonight!
AP photos, above.