Well, at least ya boys are still NHL-.500, even though they’ve won three and lost six.
1) Marian Gaborik=Beast. Bet you never thought you’d read that.
2) The Brian Boyle penalty? Pansification.
3) Speaking of which, I thought it was an awful call on Zenon Konopka, even if he is a knucklehead. Artem Anisimov had his head down (as usual), Konopka hit him from the side, not the back. OK, Anisimov was vulnerable. Once upon a time, the vulnerable player was responsible for that. Also, once upon a time, you’d see 10, 15 hits like that every game.
4) I agree that Chris Neal nailed Brad Richards in the head — not sure it was an elbow — and I don’t think there was even that much intent on the Wojtek Wolski collision with Daniel Alfredsson’s head. But I will be the least surprised person on the planet if Wolski — who was decent — is suspended for two.
5) And then the Rangers will have to recall a forward. Hmmmm. Here come those two magic words.
6) There was some twitter babble about Sean Avery being recalled. But he’d have to go through re-entry waivers. I don’t think there’s a team out there that would take him for a 1/4 cap hit, so I don’t think the Rangers are concerned about that one bit. I wonder if they’d really consider it. Again, he’s better than Kris Newbury, who went the other way last night, and he’s better than Erik Christensen by a lot. Anyway, Carl Hagelin broke the story on twitter that Andre Deveaux, his roommate, is being recalled.
8) Tim Erixon had some problems with Toronto the other night, and yesterday looked kinda out of place vs. the Senators, so I understand the demotion for his development. But that means Jeff Woywitka plays tomorrow vs. the Sharks? Maybe a trade is indeed coming.
9) Though they had some defensive lapses, especially Brad Richards, you sure saw some indications that Richards, Ryan Callahan, and even Brandon Dubinsky are coming around. Dubinsky still came away empty, but this was his best game.
10) There were a lot of empty seats, especially the most expensive ones (is this Yankee Stadium II?). Part of that might have been the matinee, part might have been the mighty Senators, and part was surely the weather. The concourses were therefore less crowded. But I think they fixed a number of the opening-night congestion problems by putting up ropes to control the concession lines. If it’s true that you can’t buy beer and hot dogs at the same place, thus you have to stand in two lines to get one of each, they need to change that STAT.
11) National anthem singers Steven and Madelyn Murphy: When the dad does it alone, I’m not a big fan. But together they were sensational again.
12) Another reason I hate the post-game breakaway contest: You’d all feel different about your club today if the gimmick went the other way yesterday, even though it wouldn’t change anything that happened in the 65 minutes of, you know, hockey. By the way, that was some pretty cool move and shot by Michalek on the winner. Oh, and ya boys haven’t scored a breakaway contest goal yet.
13) Minus the cap ramifications, would you re-trade Wolski for Michael Rozsival right now? Because Rozsival could play on the top two pairs on this team, especially with Marc Staal out indefinitely.
My Three Rangers Stars:
1) Marian Gaborik.
2) Michael Sauer.
3) Ryan Callahan.
AP photos, above.