- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
NHL Awards show in review
Posted By On June 23, 2011 @ 6:30 am In Hockey,New York Rangers,NHL | 146 Comments
1) OK, so they go to Vegas for the money grab, forgetting for some reason that the NHL, you know, has teams in cities like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal. So they put it in Vegas to squeeze out the last nickel. Wouldn’t you think they might be able to find some A-list entertainment? Or even B-list?
2) Mispronunciation. Jay Mohr made a big deal of being killed on Twitter for mispronouncing Yzerman (how?). But he and the presenter also said Lindstrom instead of Lidstrom during the Norris presentation, and those two horrible plastic-surgery poster women — no idea who they were — butchered Martin St. Louis’ name in the Lady Byng presentation. Jeez. Plus, right in the theater, a big lighted graphic said that the Jennings Trophy goes to the goaltenders on the team that allows the “least goals.” Or, in English, the fewest. And how dumb were those Tweets scrolling across the screen? You just know the NHL filtered out anything negative.
3) Those two women who presented the Lady Byng, do they work in Vegas? You know what I mean?
4) Donnie Osmond?
5) Mohr was OK. The pre-show thing he did, mocking “24/7″ was pretty good. The two jokes I liked: When he said that you have to win 16 games to win the Stanley Cup … then told Edmonton to relax; he meant 16 playoff games. And when he mocked the Winnipeg folks in the crowd who must be enjoying the running water. And it was cool that he went after the idiot Vancouver “fans.”
6) Surprised we didn’t get a little more Skid Crosby shoved down our throats.
7) Always good to see the Captain. He looked like Mats Zuccarello standing next to Chara though. Once upon a time, Mess was one of the biggest dudes in the league.
8) How about that shameful commercial for the NHL’s video game built in as a segment of the show?
9) Except for the late Derek Boogaard’s goal being among the season highlights, was there any other indication that the Rangers actually, you know, played this season?
10) One of the real nice moments was when the Army presented good guy Doug Weight with his award. But, of course, the camera cut to a crowd shot just as the Army officer was presenting Weight with the award.
11) That’s enough. It was horrible and embarrassing overall. Just awful.
AP photo/Julie Jacobson, above: Ian Laperriere holds the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2011/06/23/nhl-awards-show-in-review/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://dqmt5fo24ucpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/laperriere.jpg