2) What a boring game. I can appreciate a good 0-0 game but this was not one of them. Even if the game was 4-4 it would have been a boring game. So many penalties and there were like 10 icings in the third period. There was just no flow whatsoever.
3) That said, Tim Thomas=Monster.
4) Best skater from Game 1: Jannik Hansen by a landslide. Maxime Lapierre was a distant second, and I don’t anyone else was close to him either.
5) Vancouver singing the national anthem is pretty awesome. It’s not just the effect, but I think about how impossible it would be to get the “18,200” at MSG to do the same.
6) I had originally written a paragraph deriding Ryan Kesler and was literally in the process of editing it when he forced the turnover that led to the game-winning goal. Still, prior to that, he was once again terrible offensively. I know he does a lot defensively and he ended up with the game turning play here with less than 30 seconds remaining, but with how he talks about himself, you would think he was averaging an Ovechtrick a game.
7) I said before the series that Boston occasionally has a nervous period defensively. Vancouver can hang a few goals on your team if that happens. It started with the first puck drop, with Vancouver having four GREAT chances before Boston even started playing, but after that, the flow was interrupted a lot since there were so many penalties. Boston’s third period was very bad and Vancouver punished them for it.
8) I don’t like the Boston PP, and it’s not just because it isn’t scoring. I really dislike Zdeno Chara in front. I get the idea of the big body in front, but you need a guy with hands to make deflections or be quick to jam home rebounds. For all of Chara’s strengths, having quick hands isn’t really one of them. The other big problem with Chara up front is that they use Tomas Kaberle and Dennis Seidenberg at the point. Three defensemen on the PP! And the one with the big shot is in front of the net! Aren’t Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton big boys? Can’t they get in front instead? Look at all of the all time greats that made their living in front of the net: Tomas Holmstrom, Dave Andreychuk, Ryan Smyth, even Adam Graves. None of them are giants (although Andreychuk is a very big boy), and they scored their goals on deflections and second chances, which I just can’t picture Chara doing. Add to that all of the energy Chara has to spend to wrestle to stay in front and there is a significant cost. And to top it all off: it’s not working!!!
9) Side point: Boston has to now send Toronto a 2nd rounder as part of the Kaberle trade since they made the Final, and Kaberle has been a virtual non-factor since his arrival in Boston.
10) Everyone talks about how tough and physical the Bruins are, but the Canucks aren’t exactly cream puffs. A lot of strong and tough players on their team.
11) Paging Tyler Seguin.
12) Dan Hamhuis “embellished” the cross-check from David Krejci. Thomas “embellished” the trip from Alexandre Burrows. EDZO even called out Henrik Sedin’s obvious dive when he was cross-checked lightly during a post-whistle scrum. I’d love to see Brendan Shanahan change the NHL review of “embellishment.” Sure, the refs can’t benefit from the use of replay, but the league can. Slap a few fines on some guys for any embellished or phantom penalties, and see how much longer that lasts in the game.
13) Burrows better be suspended for two games. That was the precedent set for biting when it was Jarkko Ruutu. This will be the first test of whether Shanahan is for real or whether the NHL discipline process will remain a joke.