First a word from Carp.
The Paul Mara Beard Contest ballot is one thread below. Please scroll down or click here and vote if you haven’t already done so.
And I just wanted to say that it made me happy that that piece of cooke Carcillo helped cost his team a game and a series with an extremely dumb penalty.
This, from Eddie, Eddie, Eddie:
Hockey Town. Original six. Storied franchise. Long History. Many great players have played for the Red Wings. And for the last 20 years, the Wings have been good, really good. I am happy for their fans. Detroit needs whatever ray of hope peeks thru as the city has fallen on tough times. I remember hearing houses going for $100. Almost like the game Monopoly. Baltic and Mediterranean clearly an upward move. I extend my sincerest apologies to my Motor City brothers and sisters. Although I picked them to win the cup after the Rangers were eliminated, perhaps their tremendous run has waned and is approaching its twilight. For one, this incredibly experienced team is aged. Bertuzzi is 36 years old, Cleary 32, Datsyuk 32, Draper 39, Franzen 31, Modano 40, Salei 36, and Nick Lidstrom is 41. Funny thing about Lidstrom, I can imagine MDZ telling his grandchildren “hey kids – see that guy…I played against him.” His second goal, the teams’ third, was completely – not adismal.
For another, the San Jose Sharks are byfuglien seriously good. To say the Sharks never give up is akin to saying the sun rises in the east, we don’t get enough Skid updates, and carcillo is a piece of cooke.
Sidebar: I know it’s not right, but when carcillo took that shot in the ankle, I literally (to use an overused word) lol’ed.
Sharks are an easy team for their fans to love. They will not give up. They are like Glen Close in that bathtub scene in Fatal Attraction where she holds her breath for about an hour. Except Glen Close ultimately lost. The Sharks are still up 3-1 after losing last night 4-3 in a terrific game. When they fall behind, they don’t panic and they fight like H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks. The Rangers might have onions, but the Sharks have a lot of heart.
This is the fifth time in their history these teams have met in the playoffs, each winning twice. Sharks have a 3-1 lead after losing last night 4-3 in a terrific game.
Before I start, let’s silently give thanks to the Lord of Hockey. The Flyers were swept. Interesting fourth line the Flyers used – as their three goalies were on ice at the same time moving in and out of the crease like moths hovering around a flame. With that, here we go:
1) The Flyers were swept. I like the sound of that. I hate that team. Talk about a death spiral. Watching them lose almost makes up for the Rangers losing. That Game 4 still makes me sad.
2) Nick Lidstrom = Monster. How can you not admire thus guy? What a talent! From interviews he comes across as a great guy. Down to earth and mellow.
3) JR did a nice job pointing out that Cleary (or was it Draper) was offside on Bertuzzi’s spin-a-rama backhand .
4) Detroit buzzed like angry hornets in that first period with relentless pressure. The Sharks looked slow and that is rare sight these playoffs.
5) The way both teams move the puck out of their zone is impressive. The first 2-3 passes are short, crisp, and non-hurried. Good teams do not turn the puck over. Good teams pass vertically. When two good teams are playing, there is a beautiful ebb and flow to the game. The Sharks and Wings are ballet like. There isn’t as much grinding and play down low. Quite the contrast to the Rangers.
6) Dan Boyle should have gone off for goalie interference on the Wings second goal. Blown call. Adismal
7) Speaking of goalies, there is an interesting Hollywood name connection between Antie Em, of Wizard of Oz fame and Moe Howard, who centered The Three Stooges Line, with Larry and Curly on the wings. Wooob wooob wooob wooob.
8) Joe Pavelski = mini monster. I like his spirit.
9) Ryan Clowe = tough dude. I would love to have this guy on the Rangers. Total character guy, good skill, and menacing right hand.
10) The Sharks play such a simple game. Team oriented hockey. They play it the right way. No real superstars. Great work ethic. Living out here, I see them enough and their play is so consistent and steady. Good coaching.
11) Good coaching on the other bench too. Coach Babcock never seems flustered and you can tell that he is passionate.
12) Have you ever seen so many comebacks collectively? No lead is safe. Bizarre. Never say Die isn’t just the name of a Bond movie
13) Did I mention that the Filthy Flyers were swept by the Bruins. Carcillo hobbled off from getting hit in the ankle. Does that make me a bad person for feeling good about that? Ah Byfugal it. Who cares? Not me.
14) Sharks vs. Vancouver will be very interesting. Detroit/Vancouver could be interesting too. I’m not sure which I’m hoping for at this point in time. This series is not over. The Wings are too experienced, and too talented to be counted out. They know it’s just one shift, one period, one game at a time.
15) My wife loves the Sharks (as much as she is capable of loving a sports team).
16) Carp, this is a great site. I thank you for allowing me to spew. I mean Blog.
17) Let’s go Rangers.
18) Lastly and most importantly, the Flyers were swept.