1) The power play is enough to make a man crazy (i’m not crazy).
2) I always thought that the “jam” was a cop-out phrase from Torts, for playing well vs. not playing well, but in the first period I became a convert to the “jam.” In the NHL if you can hold a team shot-less for over 17 minutes of play, you’ve got to figure you should win the game or at least come away with more than one goal but last night for the Rangers it was not meant to be.
3) The jam was in the neutral zone, it was in the defensive zone, it was in the forecheck and it was in their demeanor. But after the Wild had their first scoring chance, and for the rest of the night the ball of yarn unraveled — and boy did it unravel. On the first goal I noticed the Rangers shying away from one of their calling cards…blocking shots. E.C. led the team with 3, that sums up the game right there.
4) Besides shying away from shots (not that they should have to rely on that) but also the crutch of laying down to block lanes haunted them horribly in the 2nd and definitely on the third goal. Almost all defenders played good man to man in the zone but they weren’t physical enough away from the puck.
5) Where the Rangers forecheckers are so willing to go into the corners and work the puck it also leaves them more susceptible for referees not to call things (it happened Tuesday and again last night, especially on Prust at the end of the second).
6) The Rangers have certainly been a stat padder for a lot of goalies this year. This was the 6th time this year they had 40+ shots, whereas the Rangers have only had 3 of those nights.
7) Dubinsky and Callahan’s 2 on 1 shorthanded chance was enough to make a man crazy (i’m not crazy).
8) I don’t believe that the line juggling helps the power play at this stage in the game. Just keep rolling lines 1,2,3,4, because the specialized lines clearly aren’t working. Wolski-Step-Zucc and Prust-Boyle-Feds work, but for the remaining 6 juggle until something somewhat useful comes out. WE ALL WANT Cally-Duby-Artie to work but it hasn’t worked for a long time so switch it up. It has moments of brilliance and maybe it clicks against the Sens and they all go streaking; but if not, juggle.
9) Thank god Uncle Glennie didn’t trade away those D man prospects and picked up McCabe because with MDZ and McMonster banged up they will be stretched thin.
10) Really could have used a good captain’s pep talk in the early second to crack the whip.
11) I never believed in your “Leastern” conference rhetoric Blogfather but I am starting to come around. This Wild team came in two points more than the Rangers but in 11th place. It is a curious case, because top to bottom I still think the Rangers are a better team and would beat them in a series.
12) To that point I’m still in the camp that whatever “Least” team comes out of the conference will take home Stanley’s Cup this year…and to think of the byfuglien Flyers winning it is starting to make me a little crazy…
13) I may be crazy but it’s my estimation that your only goal scorer shouldn’t be the low man in ice time and especially by 4 minutes.
Much obliged Carpy… Insanity Later.
AP photo, above.