1) That was one of the rare ones this season where the Rangers did almost everything they planned to do, and still lost.
2) I am not one to normally give the other goalie credit. I think too often that’s an excuse. Too often a goalie looks good because you didn’t do enough to get pucks at him or by him. But this was an exception. Mason was a difference-maker in this one.
3) Rick Nash=Monster. Still, until the empty-netter, I thought the Rangers did a fabulous job on him.
4) Those terrible-angled goals from behind the goal line, or near the goal line in the corner, are becoming an absolute epidemic for all these goalies who are so quick to go to their knees. That one by Lundqvist last night was crushing, obviously.
5) I thought some Rangers had very strong games including Alex Frolov, who played, in my opinion, his best game of the year by far; and Michael Del Zotto, back from his homework assignment; Ruslan Fedotenko, again.
6) In Frolov’s case, I wonder if he’s hearing the captain’s footsteps and the promise of John Tortorella that it won’t be kids coming out of the lineup with Chris Drury and Vinny Prospal return.
7) I think Matt Gilroy has to stay in the lineup because the Rangers really need some skill back there, especially given the opponents this week. But if Eminger is ready, I’m sure it will be Gilroy who comes out.
8) This week is really going to paint a picture of the 2010-11 Rangers, starting tonight.