Wow. I’ll tell you, boys and girls, that was as good a regular-season victory as you could have. It would have been a great win at 1-0, it would have been a painful loss at 2-1, and whatever happened at 2-2 in OT or shootout would have been OK because of the way they tied it. But to win it in OT, like that, on that type of goal, that’s going to be a game you remember later on.
1) Brandon Dubinsky has just become a beast of a hockey player. And a complete player.
2) Dan Girardi showed me something, and not just a couple of pints of blood. To come back like that, and then, I don’t know if you noticed, he took one in the onions on his first shift back, and he shook that off and had a terrific finish.
3) I thought it was especially fitting in this game that the five Rangers on the ice for the GWG were: Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Girardi and Lundqvist.
4) Old Hot Dog Lips is a pretty darn good player, and pretty rugged, too. I thought he had a fabulous game even though he was shut down. You have to like the way the boys handled him physically. Nobody seemed to remember, when he and Lundqvist came together, that last year Lundqvist scolded him for diving and that led to a Crosby-Dubinsky get-together behind the net.
5) Before the short-handed goal, I thought this was Marc Staal’s best game of the season … even though he did his fishing-for-the-puck thing once and it cost the Rangers the tying goal. Matter of fact, I thought all six D-men were strong and tough.
6) I don’t usually support all the conspiracy theories, but man the Penguins get a lot of calls. This was the first time in nearly four years where the Rangers didn’t get a single PP in a game.
7) Evgeni Malkin=Monster. Or Malkinstein.
8) I don’t even know what to say about Ryan Callahan anymore. I did enjoy his Bantamweight mitts-drop. Not to mention the thousands of hits. The GWG. And, of course, the Gordie Howe Hat Trick.
9) Ron Duguay on the go-ahead goal: “Any time a shot goes post and in, that’s a great shot.” Yeah, Ron, that’s why Lundqvist destroyed his stick and threw it at the refs and took a really bad penalty. That was not a good goal, and the goalie knew it. Though his frustration was more about the ridiculous penalty call that put the Rangers short-handed up 1-0.
10) Matt Cooke really is a piece of carcillo.
11) Youse guys are nuts with the comments. Big, big traffic night here. I think that shows that you get it. As I said at the top. Wow.
AP Photo above.