Thoughts at the crack of noon:
1) I think it was good that John Tortorella was a little testy after this one. He should be. His team played well enough to win, and a couple of very soft plays (by some soft players in a few instances) cost them what should have been a solid home win.
2) I think Brandon Dubinsky’s use of the term “ideal game” was intended, correctly, to mean that the Rangers executed their gameplan, stuck to their system, had some excellent forechecking shifts, played hard and mean and nasty and together … only to have it fall apart on a few disinterested plays. I think he meant that they played the way they wanted to play for the most part, and that they even were in control for long stretches against a superior team, and that they did a pretty good job on Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green and the other dangerous Caps.
3) Tortorella was annoyed at the officiating, and I don’t blame him, especially on the Fedotenko non-goal. Fedotenko was shoved toward the net by Karl Azner, and made a very strong effort to avoid colliding with goalie Michal Neuvirth. I don’t think it should have been disallowed. Most of the other penalties could have gone either way. Though I thought when Sauer came to Eminger’s aid, he should have gotten an instigator and Hendricks (or Hendrix) should have gotten a kneeing penalty.
4) It’s really uncomfortable interviewing Boogaard. I don’t know if he doesn’t like the media, or if he doesn’t like being interviewed, or if he thinks it’s fun to try to intimidate or what it is. But he stands there, way up in the atmosphere, with a half a smile and gives short answers. He seems like a decent enough guy, but it’s odd. Like when I asked him how close he came to not playing because of the flu, he glared and said, “You’ll have to ask John Tortorella and Glen Sather.” Huh?
5) Alex Frolov. WTB?
6) Said it many times before. Staal and Girardi are better apart than together. First shift last night: Breakaway. Second shift: Both on the same side of the net, man wide open at the post on the other side, Lundqvist amazing save. etc. etc.
7) Had a nice chat with Buffalo coaches and former Rangers James Patrick and Lindy Ruff before the game. They play the Devils tonight, with Ruff coaching his 1,000th game, then at MSG tomorrow.
8) Man, do the Rangers need Marian Gaborik. They need more than Gaborik, actually, but they really need Gaborik. They also need a point man on the power play.
9) What if Brian Boyle continues to improve?
AP Photo above.