- Rangers Report - http://rangers.lohudblogs.com -
Rangers 5, Red Wings 1 in review
Posted By On September 30, 2010 @ 11:34 am In Hockey,Uncategorized | 103 Comments
1) I am really starting to like the “Tenkos”. Ruslan Fedotenko is very hard on the puck and away from it, has some skill, some creativity, is a strong skater. I still don’t know who he replaces if he makes the team, but I think he could be an upgrade to the second or third lines.
Here’s what he said about his chances to make the team:
“I don’t think at all. I am just playing. If they want to keep me, they keep me. Otherwise I will move on to the next stage of my life.”
And Pavel Valentenko, the rugged young defenseman, is sure opening eyes. I am thinking he will simply be a victim of the numbers unless there is a trade that involves either Michal Rozsival, Matt Gilroy or Michael Sauer.
2) Maybe I’m looking too deeply into John Tortorella’s quote (see last night’s post) about Artem Anisimov, but it seems to me they think that, at this stage, he’s not capable of handling first-line type duty.
3) Poor Derek Boogaard. How many chances did he get against Jimmy Howard, who was awful? There was a story about him in the Wall Street Journal yesterday, talking about his 222-game streak without a goal (since his rookie year), and how Todd White, who’s now also a Ranger, assisted on it. The thing that cracked me up was the repeated referrals to him as “Mr. Boogaard.” I think that’s what the Devils’ LeBlond must have been calling him in the home-and-home last week.
4) Why do I get this terrible feeling that Derek Stepan, having this fantastic camp, is going to find himself in Hartford while the Rangers go: Christensen/Prospal, Drury, Anisimov, Boyle down the middle?
In case you missed it, I’m going to be doing a Q&A with Sam Rosen next week. If there’s anything in particular you think I should ask him, please let me know.
Here is my column in The Journal News and on LoHud.com today .
Nine days until the Opener.
9: Adam Graves, Andy Bathgate.
9: Roger Maris, Sonny Jurgenson, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Maurice “Rocket” Richard.
Article printed from Rangers Report: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/09/30/rangers-5-red-wings-1-in-review/
URLs in this post:
 my column in The Journal News and on LoHud.com today: http://www.lohud.com/article/20100930/COLUMNIST01/9300386/-1/sports/Rangers-need-to-move-some-bodies