From the Rangers:
NEW YORK RANGERS POST-GAME NOTES
September 26, 2010 – New York Rangers 3 at Detroit Red Wings 5 [Pre-Season Game: 3; Away Game: 2]
- The New York Rangers were defeated by the Detroit Red Wings, 5-3, tonight at Joe Louis Arena, in the second game of their back-to-back road set. The Blueshirts are now 2-1-0 in pre-season action.
- After allowing two early goals to the Red Wings, the Rangers got on the board with an even strength goal from Sean Avery, his first goal of the pre-season, at 8:35 of the first period. Avery led the team with four shots on goal and logged 13:25 of ice time.
- Forwards Erik Christensen and Artem Anisimov each notched a goal in a span of 27 seconds mid-way through the second period to tie the score at three goals. Christensen’s goal, his first of the pre-season, was unassisted at 11:37 of the middle frame. He finished the contest with four hits and three shots in 17:02 of ice time. Anisimov’s goal was a shorthanded tally at 12:04 of the second, his second goal in as many days, and he is now tied for the team lead with two goals in the pre-season.
- Rangers forward Alex Frolov recorded an assist on Anisimov’s shorthanded goal, and is now tied for the team lead with three assists and four points in two pre-season contests.
- Todd White registered an assist on Avery’s first period goal and won a team-high, five face-offs in 10 attempts (50%). White has recorded an assist in each of his two appearances with the Blueshirts, having tallied an assist in last night’s 5-4 overtime win at New Jersey while making his Rangers debut.
- Martin Biron turned aside 19 of 22 shots in the game’s opening two periods (39:59) in a no decision. Chad Johnson stopped 10 of 12 shots in the third period, and is now 1-1-0 in pre-season action.
- Rookie defenseman Ryan McDonagh led the Rangers with 24:43 of ice time, and registered three blocked shots. Defenseman Pavel Valentenko and forward Brandon Prust tied for the game-high with five hits apiece, while defenseman Dan Girardi led all skaters with four blocked shots in 23:06 of ice time.
- The Rangers do not have practice scheduled for tomorrow, September 27. The Blueshirts next practice is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 28, at the MSG Training Center.
- The Blueshirts will return to action on Wednesday, September 29, when they will face-off against the Detroit Red Wings at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in the second game of their home-and-home set. The contest will be broadcast live on MSG Network.