Oz has spoken! Glen Sather was caught being quoted in the Post this morning, in Larry Brooks’ column, in which Brooks also correctly called out Wade Redden for complaining that he was singled out as a healthy scratch (a prucha, as we like to call it here) last night. Although, I must admit, I didn’t know Redden had emotions until then.
So John Tortorella’s moves worked. They worked in part because the goalie was great again and because his guys finally decided to do some work near the opposition’s net, and because one of the guys I thought should have definitely been scratched finally scored a goal. Since his last goal on Oct. 19 against San Jose, Capt. Chris Drury had one even-strength assist and two power-play assists in 19 games, and a concussion that cost him five games.
1) The alternate captain is sure picking it up, and he absolutely has to be the player he’s been in the last five or six games. It isn’t enough for Ryan Callahan to work hard and be a leader and a top hitter. He’s like young Adam Graves in that regard now. He is expected to produce, too.
2) Lundqvist, as good as he has been, looked like Patrick Roy that one time at the Garden, flying out in a race for the puck and falling right on his facemask … or JD against Bobby Nystrom. Fortunately there was no harm, and Lundqvist was able to laugh about it later.
3) Is it me, or has Sean Avery suddenly become awful in his own zone?
4) Have to say Michal Rozsival played a pretty good game. Maybe he felt the flame nearing his fanny next.
5) Did I hear the Rangers’ goal song being sang in the stands after that Anisimov goal?
6) Up next: The Flyers, who may not be very good, but they’re a lot better than the Isles, and they are very, very nasty opponent. I expect the Rangers’ boys, ahem, guts to be royally tested tomorrow. They could get run right out of the building. Especially the first meeting of the season. I’d be very surprised and impressed if they aren’t.
7) I imagine Tortorella goes with the same lineup tomorrow. But I wonder if he thinks about putting Redden back in. Or if Chad Johnson gets a start? Or if Aaron Voros gets a chance to play in a game that should be pretty physical.