You just can’t have this kind of stuff when you can’t buy goals.
On Wednesday in Chicago, Matt Gilroy, Wade Redden and Brian Boyle stood around like the Three Stooges, fishing for the puck with their sticks as two Blackhawks scored the tying third-period goal in what would be a 2-1 overtime Chicago win. Gilroy was sent to Hartford — for developmental purposes — and absolved in part as John Tortorella said the other two were “picking their butts.”
So two nights later, and two Buffalo Sabres are surrounded by three blueshirts — Michal Rozsival, Marc Staal and Chris Drury — who did the exact same butt-picking, nobody was touched, never-mind put in their back, and the Sabres scored the first goal of the game. Well, at least Rozsival was able to retrieve the puck from the net nicely after the goal, as usual.
Where is the accountability? Staal played an otherwise strong game. Drury did nothing. Rozsival … well, you know.
1) If the Rangers have so many third-line players, shouldn’t they have a good third line? Should they get outplayed every night by the opposition’s third line? In truth, you don’t even know which line is the Rangers’ second line and which is their third line. And the fourth line … Good god, I don’t think they got on the other side of the red line all night. Wasn’t Donald Brashear supposed to bring some forecheck? Last time I checked, you can’t forecheck in your own end. And if he can’t get more than seven shifts in a game where you need a forecheck, then why is he on the team?
2) And why is Ales Kotalik on the team if you’re not going to put him on the ice for a third-period power play — after the Rangers scored two first-period PPGs? OK, he was burned for a short-hander that wasn’t his fault. But he has one purpose at this point, and that is to play the point on the PP. And if it isn’t him, how is it Drury?
3) Drury? Hooo, boy. What the firetruck happened to him? He’s just a penalty killer now. And it’s starting to look like he’s part of the problem with linemates Ryan Callahan and Sean Avery.
4) How does that clown Kaleta get away with that taunting and excessive celebration at MSG?
5) Brandon Dubinsky is going to look like a superstar when he rejoins this lineup.
6) Sounds like the MSG voices got the green light to go after the coach. And by the way, when it starts to pile up on the coach, then all arms of the media don’t mind going after him because he treats so many of them so poorly.
7) I love it when the Rangers players and coach talk about crashing the net and getting some ugly, dirty goals. How many of those do you think they’ve scored this season?