Little time for whining about last night, not with the defending champs awaiting in a home-and-home.
1) You want positives. OK, the young guys are getting great experience. Del Zotto is even getting more physical every game. Sanguinetti didn’t look out of place. One of the goals was scored by his man in front, but Higgins made an ultra-soft play trying to fish the puck away with his stick before it was scored. …
2) Speaking of which … The Rangers are a soft team overall, but last night they were astonishingly soft, especially around their own net. Although they did continue to stick up for one another.
3) If you counted the six most talented forwards in the game last night, it was Gaborik and five Lightnings.
4) Would you trade the Rangers entire group of forwards, right now, for the Islanders’ forwards?
5) Speaking of the Isles, they really ticked off the Penguins for you yesterday.
6) Torts didn’t really enjoy that video tribute, did he?
7) Avery was good again. Very good.
8) Rozsival, Girardi, Drury, Higgins all regressed. Lundqvist was bad, and many of you are right. I wouldn’t call him awful this season, or even mediocre, but he hasn’t been as good as we’re conditioned to seeing.
9) So does Lundqvist play back-to-backs? Does he sit out the third in four nights and play the Pens Monday at MSG? Could they possibly beat Pittsburgh with an average LQ or with Valiquette?
10) Maybe Wade Redden is underpaid.
11) Did Mike Smith make one memorable save?