This was pretty simple. A good win, good effort, against an undermanned team that played pretty poorly.
So, no, I’m not putting much into the 4-2 victory in Edmonton, other than it is sure better than a loss, an overtime loss or one of those skills competition losses. Those would have all been unacceptable (like the Islanders game).
1) The MSG propaganda machine is cranked up with the “what a great play by Drury” stuff. And I’m one of the few who think this guy is a decent captain and a good hockey player. But he is not playing well by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps he’s hurt and everybody there knows it but isn’t allowed to say it, so they defend him. If he’s healthy, he should not be getting praise. That said, I think Joe and Sam were dead on in that Callahan, Dubinsky and Higgins are looking much better lately.
2) Did you see the “Sausage Fest,” Captain Clutch commercial (I think it was for Captain Morgan)?
3) I say this pretty much every night: What a play by Del Zotto … this time on the Callahan goal. Also, Gilroy (on that great ice in Edmonton) had a stellar game. I think both of these guys need defensive defense partners, and I think maybe it’s time to stop expecting offense from Staal and let him play with one of those guys, and let Girardi either play with the other or play with Rozsival.
4) Maybe you guys are right about Tom Renney. Oilers look passive, awful.
5) I’ve said all along how much I miss hockey, and that if somebody called and asked me to go back to hockey full time, I probably wouldn’t even have to think about it. But that is one trip I don’t miss even a little.
6) Although the Edmonton P.A. guy has such a great, Canadian voice and accent.
7) Aaron Voros. Is this guy trying to get bought out?
8) Amazing how much easier this game is, and how much better the results, when you have a power play. Remember that seven-game winning streak? That was PP driven.
9) Once again, MSG bails on the Tortorella press conference quickly. Brutal.