Frankly, I expected John Tortorella to be more ticked off last night, after the tons of mistakes, and after some questionable effort on the part of some of his players. Overall, he said, the battle level was acceptable, and I agree. But some individuals, he said, did not work hard enough, and many did not play smart enough.
I said this last week, and I’ll say it again. Some of this falls on Tortorella and Mike Sullivan. They can’t let these types of things continually happen. Then again, with a limited roster, their options are slim.
1) They sure bent over backward to get Christopher Higgins his first goal, and he got it. I understand that Lisin was out (another mystery injury, upper/lower something or other?) and it probably was easier to just elevate Higgins to the No. 1 line. But I wouldn’t mess too much with Gaborik-Prospal. It worked pretty well with Dubinsky and it worked pretty well with Lisin.
2) I didn’t think I’d ever say this, but has anybody seen Ryan Callahan and Sean Avery. Yes, Avery annoyed some of the Canucks and was involved in that between-benches incident (miraculously, he didn’t get a penalty, a game misconduct or a suspension … yet). But neither is doing what they’re supposed to do. And I won’t even get into Rozsival or Drury again.
3) You’ve got to love that little melee in the third period. The Rangers stuck together, and you don’t see nearly enough of that stuff with this team. Unfortunately for them, it didn’t translate into momentum. In fact, just the opposite.
4) Gotta like the naming of Prospal as an alternate captain. Although he still sounds, to me, like Vegetable Lasagna from Seinfeld.
5) They keep showing that Mercedes commercial during games … the one where the young, rich clown with the glasses if driving with his two young daughters in the back seat, and swerving out of his lane, dozing off, speeding, and tailgating an 18-wheeler. And his new Mercedes is supposed to protect him and his kids from this idiotic type of driving? How about this: Don’t get in the car with the kids if you’re going to drive like that, pea-brain.
Back to the Stadium for me. Supposed to be like 34 degrees tonight. So nice, what baseball does to its fans.