Some thoughts 0n last night’s game, with a quick turnaround to this afternoon’s game in Boston (4 p.m., MSG).
1) Anisimov, Grachev, Lisin. Skills and skating. Good combo in a Tortorella system. Just give them sweaters. Loved Gilroy the other night. I also think that Higgins is going to be a really good player this year. And I liked the Kotalik signing (maybe in the minority there). So there’s some hope.
2) That Voros-Boyle-Brashear line was pretty effective … except Brashear has to learn when to get the hell off the ice, especially down a goal in the waning seconds. Voros, as long as he doesn’t play too many minutes or have to fight much, can be an effective player. I hated the Brashear signing, but he is better than Orr. And Boyle? Well, he’s big. Jury’s still out on him. But these guys won’t be doing PK duty or anything, like last year’s fourth-liners.
3) Abdelkader. I just wanted to say that again. Haven’t said it since June.
4) Do you guys like the fact that Mike Keenan is going to be a studio analyst 10 or 12 times this year? Should be fun if he fires from the hip. If not, he won’t be good at all.
5) It’s going to be a long, long year if MSG Network keeps beating us over the head with those Geico commercials (not to mention the virtual ads).
6) Redden and Rozsival. Well, the best play Redden made was to give Anisimov the puck. Otherwise, they stunk.
7) You Boneheads rock, turning out these kind of numbers for preseason games.
Check out the Rangers’ site for pregame notes today
Once again, here’s the guest blogging schedule for the coming week. Please e-mail your post to me the night before it is scheduled, and e-mail me if you have any questions: rcarpini@LoHud.com.
Sunday 9/20: Colorado Mark
Monday 9/21: Noah
Tuesday 9/22: The Mouth
Wednesday 9/23: Somerset
Thursday 9/24: Laurel Babcock
Friday 9/25: The Real MikeyNJ
Saturday 9/26: AdamZ
Sunday 9/27: Me.