The Rangers will cut down to 29, 30 or so today. Some thoughts after a couple of preseason games:
1) The Avery Rules are in effect even for preseason games. I mean, geez, he knocked over a goalie last night, but the puck was already in the net, and then he got punched in the face by Mike Mottau. The result: Goal disallowed, two minutes for goalie interference and two more for yapping to the ref. Why not give him one of those phantom Colton Orr major penalties, and suspend him, too? At the very least, the goal should have counted and Mottau should have gotten two minutes.
2) Matt Gilroy will not be one of the cuts today or ever. The guy is on the team, and if what he’s shown so far is real, he’s here to stay for a long time. So kudos have to go to Glen Sather and his hockey people for signing Gilroy as a free agent. He may be the most gifted D-man the Rangers have had since you-know-who.
3) Evgeny Grachev looks like he belongs, but we have to see more before we know he surely does. Same with Del Zotto,who is on the bubble. I don’t mind the way Potter is playing at all.
4) The Rangers sure have some XXL-sized guys now. Unfortunately most of them aren’t very good.
5) How about Ochocinco? Chad Johnson should change his number to 85. I don’t know if he beats out Valiquette for the backup job, though, but he looked pretty good. Except that he got beat on the first shot he saw, and long before the pathetic Prudential Center p.a. guy realized there had been a change in goal.
5) Hate to say it, but Redden looks decent.
6) They should have shootouts at the end of every preseason game. Then none during the season.
7) The Rangers really barely have enough players to start the season, especially if Gaborik and/or Dubinsky don’t.
Here’s the official game summary.
I’m going to put out the guest blog schedule for next week, and just want to check: Somerset and ZzZz, are you guys planning to volunteer? Last time you were both interested, but I haven’t heard from you.
AFTERNOON UPDATE, 12:52 P.M.: Got to go to a football game soon, and the cuts are expected around 3 p.m., so I won’t be able to post them. If you guys spot them on another site and want to put them in the comments, great. But please credit the site from which you, ahem, “borrowed” them, i.e. Andrew Gross or Steve Zipay or whomever. OK? Thanks.
I’m still waiting to hear from Somerset. The clock is ticking.