These are long days for you guys, and I apologize that there’s not much to report other than this:
1) Chris Drury will play tonight. He may play the wing, or he might play limited minutes with Brandon Dubinsky centering the second line. Dubinsky played a great game there in Game 1.
2) Paul Mara, who did not practice Tuesday, will also play, as expected.
3) The Washington Post says that the Ovechkin-Backstrom post-game celebration is something they’ve done after every win, something they picked up watching the Orlando Magic in an NBA game.
4) Ovechkin was on the home bench at MSG this morning again, but this time it was during the Capitals’ morning skate, and with several teammates. Some of the Caps on ice mockingly called for Ovechkin to be removed.
5) Matt Gilroy is expected to be in the building for a media conference this evening. He was supposed to be at Game 3, but his flight was grounded in Boston due to weather. I may have a couple of remarks from him in the game thread later.
I’m on my way to MSG. I’ll leave you with the latest version of the Playoff Beard contest slideshow.
AFTERNOON UPDATE, 12:39 P.M.: The NHL’s award season is underway with the finalists for the Calder Trophy (rookie of the year) being named today.
The Rangers also announced that Game 3 was the highest rated game on MSG Network in more than 10 years. “The game delivered a 2.72 HH RTG, making it the highest rated Rangers game on MSG since April 22, 1997 when the Rangers played the Florida Panthers in the first round of the NHL playoffs (3.04 HH RTG),” according to the press release.
<img style=”visibility:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;” border=0 width=0 height=0 src=”http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEyMzk2NDE4MTAyNjEmcHQ9MTIzOTY*MTgxODEzMCZwPTEyMDc*MSZkPWVBRGpQZ3dJRmJxTFFzeU*mZz*xJnQ9Jm89MTE4MGUzMTkwZTRjNGUxZjliNGJlMzU1OTQwZjQyNGMmb2Y9MA==.gif” /><object type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” classid=”clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000″ codebase=”http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0″ width=”420″ height=”500″ id=”spo_eADjPgwIFbqLQsyM” data=”http://farm.sproutbuilder.com/load/eADjPgwIFbqLQsyM.swf”><param name=”wmode” value=”transparent” /><param name=”align” value=”middle” /><param name=”allowFullScreen” value=”true” /><param name=”allowScriptAccess” value=”always” /><param name=”quality” value=”best” /><param name=”movie” value=”http://farm.sproutbuilder.com/load/eADjPgwIFbqLQsyM.swf” /><embed type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” name=”spe_eADjPgwIFbqLQsyM” src=”http://farm.sproutbuilder.com/load/eADjPgwIFbqLQsyM.swf” width=”420″ height=”500″ wmode=”transparent” align=”middle” allowFullScreen=”true” allowScriptAccess=”always” quality=”best”></embed></object>